Full disclosure: This may just be an I-like-it-but-everyone-else-hates-it recipe. Given my addiction to kale and penchant for sweet potatoes, this was kind of a no brainer for me, but if either of those vegetables aren’t your bag, well, maybe this isn’t the recipe for you. I mean, I guess you could substitute regular potato for sweet potato, but don’t even think about subbing out the kale. It gets all nice and crispy when cooked in the oven, which pairs nicely texture-wise with the mashed sweet potato. The flax seed is optional, but adds a yummy nutty flavor to the dish that I really like. Again, whatever floats your boat.
Crispy Kale and Sweet Potato
1 medium sweet potato
2 teaspoons of milk
1 cup of coarsely chopped kale
About 1/4 of a yellow onion, small diced
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced
A pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
About a Tablespoon of flax seed (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2) Cook the sweet potato by one of two methods:
a. Poke several holes in the potato by stabbing it with a fork. Wrap potato in a paper towel and microwave for five minutes. Allow to cool for several minutes, then remove the skin and cut into cubes.
b. Peel, cube, and cook the potato in boiling water until soft enough to mash, about 12 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
3) Put the cooked potato cubes into a medium bowl, add the milk, and mash.
4) Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
5) Add garlic, onion and red pepper and sauté for about 30 seconds.
6) Add kale and cook until wilted. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
7) Once wilted, add the kale to the bowl of sweet potatoes and mix together.
8) Scoop potato mixture into a small glass baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
9) Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the a golden crust forms over the top of the kale and potatoes.
10) If using flax seed, sprinkle over the top of the dish, turn on the broiler, and broil for a couple of additional minutes.
11) Remove pan from the oven and let cool before chowing down.
12) Okay, now you can chow down.