I recently received a request for more kale recipes. Given my borderline addiction to the leafy green vegetable, I may or may not have a few up my sleeve. I know it’s not technically Foodie Friday, but I hope that my four readers aren’t annoyed by a mid-week recipe post.
I’ve been eating this kale and mushroom omelet morning, noon and night for the past week. Be warned: it is very healthy and filling, but I’m sure you could knock it down a few nutritional pegs by using whole eggs and more cheese. I like to pair this with some Greek yogurt and fresh berries for a delightful little breakfast… or lunch… or dinner.
1 egg and 2 egg whites
1 cup chopped kale
2 or 3 mushrooms, sliced
1 Tablespoon feta cheese
A drizzle of olive oil
1) In a medium pan, sauté the kale and mushrooms in olive oil over medium-high heat for about five minutes.
2) Heat a second, larger pan over medium-high heat. (Use a non-stick pan or cooking spray so your omelet comes clean away from the pan.)
3) Scramble the egg with the egg whites and pour into the heated, larger pan. Allow to cook until almost set.
4) Scatter your sautéed kale and mushrooms over one half of the cooked egg whites and crumble the feta cheese over the top.
5) Using a spatula, fold the egg in half over the kale, mushroom and feta filling.
6) Slide the omelet off of the pan onto a plate. Season with salt and pepper to taste.